Error Code-2001 MPI 5.7L Crusader Captain's Choice

Brian G.

Member
Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2003
RO Number
11467
Messages
15
I ran my 2001 MPI 5.7L Crusader Captain's Choice engine with the cooling water valve closed for a short time until the the engine safety system shut the engine down. Burnt the exhaust hoses and ruined the water intake impeller.No warped head or other problems after repair of hoses, impeller and a new thermostat. Ran a whole season with no issues and temp is between 160-170 deg F.

I have a B&G gage connected to the engine ECM to read rpm, temp, etc. Problem is that the gage shows a temp error code from the overheating event.

Can I erase the error code without calling a mechanic with the diagnostic software?

Thanks for your attention.
 
Brian- I believe you will need to use either one of the MEFI scan devices or software , or a $49 Rinda CodeMate in order to erase codes, as the ECM has to enter Service Mode to allow erasing.

This CodeMate instruction manual advises attaching the CodeMate ( or TechMate or MercScan or Diacom sw )to the DLC connector with key to OFF,
then turning key to ON /engine still OFF and switch CodeMate to Service Mode,
then move the throttle control from 0% to full 100% and back to 0%,
then turn key to OFF for at least 5 seconds.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/MEFI/Codemate Tester Manual.pdf
http://www.rinda.com/acro/prodlist.pdf

There is a way to make a MEFI 1-4 code-only reader (like CodeMate it is definitely not a scanner) for a few bucks and I believe it would only be a matter of jumping or grounding another wire at the DLC connector to enter Service Mode, but I don't know or guess which wires or pins to jump and would consider that method of accessing Service Mode a bit risky considering the cost of a new ECM unless someone else with better knowledge of your ignition system who has done that can provide the definitive answer.

I have the handy B&G NetEngSys display on my boat also, but I don't believe there is any way that can command Service Mode.

Do you have a Code 15 or does the B&G engine check just say coolant temp sensor voltage low (HOT)?
 
Thanks Sandy!

The boat is now on the hard for the winter and I don't remember the exact error code.

I guess I'll have to get the Rinda CodeMate or have a tech with the proper tool come.

Thanks again.
 
If you check the Rinda site and see which different marine engines and ignition systems can be scanned ,it could be really handy for you to get together with a few friends with some of those engines and split the cost of one of the scan devices or notebook software and appropriate adapters if you don't want to just buy one yourself like I did. (I have TechMate & Diacom (& included the essentially necessary MEFI diagnostics CD) and even the very limited-function Codemate that came with the extensive adapter kit. I was very fortunate to be able to purchase the handy handheld TechMate used at ~ 1/2 price long after I had the Diacom sw.) These are the same scan devices the Crusader( and I believe some other marine engine mfgrs) factory and local authorized techs use.

Personally, I feel anyone with a marine gas MPI or TBI engine would do very well to have the ability to at least scan the engine(s) to help quickly rule in or out various suspect components if an issue pops up, ...but then I just like the gadgets plus there are no authorized Crusader techs on the island here. Even if you don't want to perform some mechanical, etc., work yourself , it is nice to have a better idea of when to turn to professional tech help.

On the other hand , if you are kind of handy , the scan devices prevent one from wasting time and money replacing items that are quickly shown to be performing well. In that sense they can tend to pay for themselves.

But I certainly understand common reluctance to shell out $400 to $6-700 for these devices or software.

And, of course, for your present issue that expense isn't needed. You might just try contacting a factory tech at Crusader Engines to see if he could advise if just carefully jumping a few particular pins on the DLC connector will clear the archived code on your particular engine.
 
Back
Top