Generator starting

Shake n Bake

Member
Joined
Mar 8, 2005
RO Number
16525
Messages
371
If my generator [westerbeke 5kw diesel] can not pull fuel from the tank because the fuel level is too low, will it start on the fuel in the Racor filter and run until it's empty or will it not start at all?
 
It should start for a short time, stumble as it sucks air and stop.
 
That's what I thought. Roughly 1 out of 10 times my genny won't start at all. It turns over but won't fire. I was hoping it was a fuel level issue.
 
What happened the last time you ran it before the 1 in 10 it wouldn't start? If you shut it down, chance are pretty good, there's still fuel in the line/filter and should start. If it shut down on its own because of lack of fuel, then it is dry and won't start.
 
Remember, that unlike gasoline engines, diesel engines will not self-prime. If it ran out of fuel last time, the fuel system has to be primed to re-start (just as if the fuel filter had been changed).

Also, when cold, Westerbeke's have to be pre-heated for at least 30 seconds prior to starting (remember to hold down to pre-heat button for at least 5 seconds after starting to get the oil pressure up as the pre-heat button also bypasses the low oil pressure shut off).
 
quote:

Originally posted by Neverending

Remember, that unlike gasoline engines, diesel engines will not self-prime. If it ran out of fuel last time, the fuel system has to be primed to re-start (just as if the fuel filter had been changed).

Also, when cold, Westerbeke's have to be pre-heated for at least 30 seconds prior to starting (remember to hold down to pre-heat button for at least 5 seconds after starting to get the oil pressure up as the pre-heat button also bypasses the low oil pressure shut off).





Actually the newer Kohler ECD electronic fuel injected engines need to have the fuel manifold burped any air caused from the loss of fuel. They have a tool that fits in the Schradder valve for priming the fuel rail and burping the air.
Bill
 
I never ran it out of fuel. I can see fuel in the bowl of the Racor but it won't start at random times. I'm aware of the preheat requirement. When it decides not to start it turns over just fine but it won't fire. No amount of preheating or constant starting will get it running. If I let it sit overnight, the next time I try to start it, it fires right up. I'm thinking it must be a fuel issue but I can hear the fuel pump clicking.

Yes, I know to rest it between starting attempts to reduce the risk of water ingestion. Any other thoughts appreciated.
 
sounds like the fuel solenoid is sticking. Clean and check all connectors and check the solenoid for free operation.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Neverending

Remember, that unlike gasoline engines, diesel engines will not self-prime. If it ran out of fuel last time, the fuel system has to be primed to re-start (just as if the fuel filter had been changed).

Also, when cold, Westerbeke's have to be pre-heated for at least 30 seconds prior to starting (remember to hold down to pre-heat button for at least 5 seconds after starting to get the oil pressure up as the pre-heat button also bypasses the low oil pressure shut off).






Actually it depends... Some diesel will re prime. They have an electric pump and some will also self bleed. My Isuzu powered Norpro 18 is self bleeding. The NL 20s we have on the boat I run will usually self bleed unless the system has been completely opened up.

Back to the original question, you could have a small air leak at the racor or other point in the fuel feed which may not affect running but will cause fuel to bleed back to the tank.

Does it usually restart easily after you shut it down ?
 
Usually when a diesel is harder to start the longer it sat it s often a fuel priming issue. Keep in mind the electric lift pumps on gennies are pretty small and may take a while to re prime the system
 
The last time it wouldn't start I used it for about 6 hours the previous day. The next morning it wouldn't start. A couple days later it started on the first revolution.
 
From your last post, that does not sound like a priming or air injestion issue, sounds like a fuel shut off issue........D..........
 
call tech support at westerbeke and ask them if the auto shut down feature is disabled during the start cycle. if not, check carefully for anything that might be intermittently grounding out the contact for the exhaust temp and or oil pressure sensors. I've seen sound enclosures ground out the exhaust temp lead and cause problems like you describe.
 
All the shut down sensors are disabled while the preheat/bypass switch is pressed. I'm pretty sure it not a sensor issue. While the fuel pump is clicking I haven't checked for actual fuel flow. I'm going to try that next time it won't start. Its frustrating to troubleshoot this since it only occurs randomly.
 
Hopefully you have your genny fixed but if not I have something for you to consider. Not sure about Westerbekes but on Northern Lights there is a "run" relay. I've had some that were intermittent and was a pain to diagnose. Went through a few hours of troubleshooting before I found the problem the first time I came across it. It would run for hours/weeks with no issues and then shut down in minutes at times.
 
Its been starting just fine for the last couple weeks. I think you might be right about some sort of "run" relay. I just need to find it when the genny won't start.
 
The run relay probably keeps the shut off solenoid open while it's starting and running.
With that said I think PdeCat and D. are correct check the fuel solenoid and any related wiring or relay to that circuit.
Bill
 
quote:

Originally posted by Shake n Bake

Its been starting just fine for the last couple weeks. I think you might be right about some sort of "run" relay. I just need to find it when the genny won't start.






Problem is it may test good even right after the genny shutdown unexpectedly. That is the trouble I had with NLs a couple times. Now at $14 I just replace it if it is at all suspect.
 
Back
Top