Hall of Shame Inductee

Doc

Member
Member
Joined
May 2, 2005
RO Number
17228
Messages
533
Here is an example of the type of information that should be shared with fellow boaters.

I needed a new bulb for my Guest model 292 spotlight. Guest said that they had made a kit for replacement that cost $40.00 plus shipping and handling. I ordered the kit and it contained a bulb, a new foam gasket for the bezel and a couple of spade connectors. My gasket and connectors were fine but I needed the bulb.

The package arrived and the bulb was in its box from Philips. I googled the part number on the box and found, at a bulb discounter, that if you only needed one bulb the cost was $3.99. If you needed between 2 and 10 the price was $3.50. They apparently are very common in automobile fog and parking lights. The bulb itself has no brand marks.

I feel ripped off! But, what can I do except share the news.
 
We sell the bulb from Guest for $27. I suspect that it's a special order bulb from Philips and not the stock bulb that carries that part number.
 
That's the "value" brand. Seasalt, see if you can find Philip's part no or SKU. THat h3 is a description, not a part no. It would be interesting to see if that's a 100 hour bulb like the cheap one or a 500 hour bulb.
 
The guys who carry the Guest "brand" (like us) have to buy them from Guest or a Guest distributor. If there is a big markup, it's not the retailer who is getting it. Don't misunderstand, if a boater can get a $4 bulb instead of a $30 bulb and it's equivelent, that is a good deed.
 
Back
Top