Has this problem always been there, or has it developed recently?
I'm having trouble picturing your setup. On our simple single MerC Alpha One Gen Two setup, a mechanical rack and pinion drives a push/pull cable. This cable attaches to the MerC "transom assembly" which includes the Power Steering Ram. The Ram is powered by an ordinary GM power steering pump on the 5.7 SBC engine.
Am I correct in thinking that you have a Hydraulic Helm, with Hoses to the Transom Assemblies? Sounds complicated, but let me mention two issues that can make the steering miserable on our little Sea Ray:
1. Our steering cable has to be slick free effortless. If a cable is failing (getting sticky) the helm will spin easily with the cable disconnected from the transom assembly BUT STEERING GETS STICKY. With the old cable removed and laid out next to a new cable, it becomes apparent how difficult to push it's actually become.
2. The cable attachment to the transom assembly is not simply a threaded protrusion. It is actually the Shuttle Valve that directs hydraulic fluid to apply power to the power steering! Hard to see, but there are Wrench Flats on the inboard end of that threaded attachment. The flats MUST BE VERTICAL once I finish tightening the steering cable nut.
Does any of this apply? Have you checked and it's all OK? Then I'd ask: Are your power steering Hoses (pump to transom, probably through a cooler) collapsing internally? Blockage in the Cooler? Fault in the Pump?
I wonder if something is heating up as you maneuver that doesn't get the same workout at cruise speed.