Hurricanes and Insurance

Doc

Member
Member
Joined
May 2, 2005
RO Number
17228
Messages
533
A friend who lives in Atlanta called me and said that he had been told by his insurance company (Ace) to either move aboard his boat in Sarasota or get it out of the hurricane zone or they would cancel. The move aboard bit seems strange since a lot of campanies don't seem to like that designation.

Several boats that were purchased in Florida have passed through here in the last couple of weeks headed north. They were told by their companies that they could not have insurance at any price to remain in Florida during hurricane season.

I have heard that if I want to return to Florida in the winter that I will have to be out by late spring. I have also heard reports of converstions between boat owners and their insurance companies that if they go back into the "zone" (including the Gulf Coast to Texas) that they can go but their premiums will quadruple or more. I have not contacted my company...Markel...to get their price since I plan to stay here for the summer and fall. But I plan to go to Florida for next winter.

It would be interesting to hear from some of you who plan to stay in the "zone" for the upcoming hurricane season. How bad is the insurance problem?
 
Back
Top