HVAC Condensate Drains into Bilge

RWS

Well-known member
Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
RO Number
25075
Messages
1,698
I've heard many comments here about having a separate sump to drain the A/C condensate and pump overboard.

My factory setup allows the condensate to drain directly into the forward bilge.

So I need a small container with a little bilge pump & float switch, enough hose for an anti siphon loop and another thru hull?

Any suggestions, comments and advice on how to best accomplish this will be appreciated.

Thanks,

RWS
 
Why not connect it to your shower sump?
 
You can do as Hogan suggests. But if you can't then either make up a custom shower drain box setup or if one will fit in your existing bilge space just get one of the ones already offered by say Rule and install it.

You could also look at installing a Mermaid Condensator that sucks the condensation water out of the pan and injects it into the A/Cs raw water outlet line where it is carried over board.
 
Typical installations use a check valve at the sump instead of an anti-siphon loop.

The Mermaid would be the cheapest / easiest, but they can make annoying noises.

Even if you add a new dedicated sump, I wouldn't drill a new through-hull. There are lots of Y's on the market now. The SeaSense Y has a check valve in each leg.
 
I highly recommend the Dometic AC "Venturi kits" to discharge the condensate into the raw water flow from the AC unit. There is no noise associated with the Venturi kits I installed. But you need to put cleaning the check valve on your monthly maintenance list, it's easy if you locate the check valve where you can reach them.
Bill
 
Cheapest is to go to the existing sump. Based on the way you describe the setup, I believe the condensation se going to be the easiest.

Shop around. They are expensive...... $150.00 is a "reasonable" price. All told, there is probably $12 worth of stuff at retail in the package.

EDIT ADD

I found this from another RO.

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112003
 
The shower "sump" on this boat is a rather large, gel coated arrangement with a beautiful teak honeycomed grid above.

There's a Rule 360 pump and switch at the very bottom.

It is attractive and easily cleaned out WHEN WE USE THE SHOWER, but the idea of all that nasty condensate water always being in that sump is totally unappealing. YUK !

For now, the idea of adding a small covered sump that I can fit into the bilge is interesting, as is the Mermaid type of syphon option, which is even more appealing if I could come up with an adequate cleanable screen device to protect that check valve.

RWS
 
It's really not necessary to put a screen in front of the check valve. You'd just have to clean that from time to time. Just keep the pan clean and flush the valve from time to time instead. If your a belt and suspenders type you could put a piece of large cell open cell foam in the pan to trap any crap that gets in there and keep it from being sucked up the condensation drain opening.
 
quote:

Originally posted by RWS

The shower "sump" on this boat is a rather large, gel coated arrangement with a beautiful teak honeycomed grid above.

There's a Rule 360 pump and switch at the very bottom.

It is attractive and easily cleaned out WHEN WE USE THE SHOWER, but the idea of all that nasty condensate water always being in that sump is totally unappealing. YUK !

For now, the idea of adding a small covered sump that I can fit into the bilge is interesting, as is the Mermaid type of syphon option, which is even more appealing if I could come up with an adequate cleanable screen device to protect that check valve.

RWS






The condensate water isn't that nasty. Soapy water from the shower is much worse.

You never use your shower?
 
The condensator kit comes w/ a screen similar to the filter on your fresh water pump.
 
[/quote]
The condensate water isn't that nasty. Soapy water from the shower is much worse.

You never use your shower?
[/quote]
Agreed. The shower sump is nasty...condensate water not so much, IMHO.
 
quote:

Originally posted by KiDa

The condensator kit comes w/ a screen similar to the filter on your fresh water pump.





I have found the screen and the valve get mold in them so to cut down on this I put a small Bromine tablet in each AC units tray. The beauty of using Venturi or Condesator like devices is they don't need to cycle the shower sump or bilge pumps the stuff just goes overboard with the AC's raw water flow and you don't have to remember to do much other than turn on the AC breaker. I forgot I had these and after 3 years one unit clogged I only noticed when my carpet started to get wet. I was able to clean everything up in a few minutes after I placed a bandage on the 3" gash I got when I pulled the drain hose off the pan and the back of my hand was cut by a stainless hose clamp. Man do hose clamps inflict serious cuts and pain! So now I still clean the check valve and screen every month. In mine the check valves come apart for easy cleaning, I didn't know that when I sliced the back of my hand open the 1st time.

Bill
 
I feel your pain. And have the scars to prove it. :-) On your new boat you might want to use a few of these Bill.

 
I learned the hard way last year was my all time highest year for self inflicted injuries while working on my own boat! I have the red rubber soft ends on the cheap clamps now.
One of the stupidest worst injuries last year I asked my wife to hand me a pair of shears (sharp ones) she handed them to me the wrong way and when I grasped the blade ends together it cit through my middle finger and fingernail, we had blood all over the place. I walked away with 3 scars from boating late last summer.
I'm usually not in a hurry but it was hot that day my engines were still warm and I wanted to rough cut a fabricated shield for some wires out of thin stainless. I'm not exactly sure how I was able to get my finger out of position with the hand that grabbed the shears to cut a middle fingertip? It happened my wife can't stand the sight of blood she had to sit down....
Bill
 
Why change something that has worked for thirty years? If it smells bad clean it and start using bleach tablets. Adding a pump, switches, wiring fuses etc. seems pointless to me. You will still have standing water unless you send it overboard. Good Luck.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Ironworks

You will still have standing water unless you send it overboard. Good Luck.






I think determining the best way to send it overboard is the whole point of this thread. :-)
 
Back
Top