Introduce Yourself...

That sounds really interesting. How does an electroshocking boat work?

Electroshocking works by having a gas powered generator in the boat and then putting AC power (average about 200 volts) into the water via thick wire electrodes hanging off the front of the boat or having a converter that converts the AC to DC and running that through thinner wire anodes. In the DC set up, a plate on the bottom of the boat serves as the cathode. Depending on how far you are from fish and the size of the fish, the fish will be stunned to various degrees and will be immobilized at the surface. You then scoop up the fish with a dip net and count and identify them. After the fish recover in an aerated tank on the boat, you release them back to the river. It's a great system that's been around for about 60 years. Doesn't work in salt water though since it's too conductive, the electricity flows around the fish, rather than through it.

Dwight... details on your boat. Looks like something I would be interested in for The Grand Loop.....

Ernesto here, still with the Tiara 2900 Open I bought (with much BoaterEd RO engagement and help) back in 2008. Been boating on the St. Croix and Mississippi since 2007, but moving the boat to Bayfield for some open water boating this summer, and probably next.

Did I see a post from Sib? Or was that a mirage? Miss you buddy!

Ernesto here, still with the Tiara 2900 Open I bought (with much BoaterEd RO engagement and help) back in 2008. Been boating on the St. Croix and Mississippi since 2007, but moving the boat to Bayfield for some open water boating this summer, and probably next.

Yup...Sib is back! Welcome back Ernesto!

Welcome to the new site, Ernesto! Glad to see you here.

Are you still dancing, (was it salsa you were learning?) and is photography a new venture or adventure? Enjoying your pics on FB.

Hey guys, great to see you as well!
Bruce - yeah Bayfield WI on Lake Superior, the Apostle Islands...
Speedo - yeah, still dancing (though nowadays it's living room dancing, until things open up again)... Still full time architect but yes, doing photography for fun and it's turned into a bit of a side gig. I'll probably 'retire' to doing more photography at some point.

Good to be back to BoaterEd. The Chap board has degenerated into a SPAM honeypot.

Yeah, i don't know why Chap lets that site run like that. I guess it should not be a surprise given the quality of their boats the last few years... QC and site moderation are non existent...

Back