Introduce Yourself...

Let's get the new site off to a great start. Whether you are a crusty old salt or a newcomer, introduce yourself and give us some details about your boat, boating area, etc...
Hi there, Tim Bromund here. Current Boat is a 1989 22’ Starcraft Islander Hardtop that unfortunately, needs a transom replacement. Repowered with a new 4.3L for the OMC Cobra in 09. Primarily a Salmon Fishing Boat on Lake Ontario out of Olcott, NY. 5545CCC6-F6A6-4850-8465-4000E0857F2E.jpeg

Dwight... details on your boat. Looks like something I would be interested in for The Grand Loop.....
1998 370 Carver Voyager twin gas 7.4 L MPI. Lots of room for a couple. Last year they were built was 2004 and also in diesel.

I am Greg, live in Virginia and have boated the James, Rappahannock and Potomac Rivers for many years. Logged some hours on the Chesapeake as well.

I grew up with boats as my dad decided he wanted to be a waterman when I was in the 5th grade. That lasted for 4 years, crabbing and oystering the Rappahannock river. I was his little helper when the boats needed repairs, and also logged many hours on the water crabbing/oystering with him. He also worked at marinas doing custom wood work on custom sailboats. I hated it then, but now I am grateful for the experience and what he taught me. I can mostly turn my own wrenches because of him.

I got into boating on my own in my early 30s. First boat was a Maxum bowrider, then a Maxum 2400SCR, then a Sea Ray 330DA, then a Regal 3780 (then a divorce) and then 2 Monterey 302s. I am currently boatless but looking. I sold the last boat, a 2006 Montery 302 that I kept on the Potomac, March of 19 planning to buy a bigger one, and then Covid hit, and well...good luck.

I am under contract with a private seller owned 2002 Wellcraft Martinique 3700. I don't know the brand, but I like what I see.

I love to help where/when I can, especially novice boaters. I appreciate the wealth of information I have learned on this forum and all of those who have helped me figure something out :)

Last edited:
Im Doug, I'm a painting contractor for 40 years. Hopefully packing it up in a few years?
My wife (of almost 30 years) and I had a great idea and bought our first boat when she was 8 months pregnant with our second daughter, my house was under major construction, and my father had just retired and I took over the business. We bought a 5 year old 24' Four Winns, then 3 years later traded that for a 32' Four Winns. Then came another great idea, buy a brand new 2004 37' Formula PC. Well, along with Currentsea that sank in Sandy. We took the insurance money and bought our current 2005 37' Formula PC.
We have started a search for our retirement boat. We are currently looking at Princess V53, Neptunus 55 and Sunseeker Predators. We live on Long Island and hope to retire in a few years and cruise from Maine to Keys and Bahamas for winters.
My proudest accomplishment is that my kids love boating and the water as much as I do.

I can't thank all of you enough, for all the knowledge that I have gathered from this site.
I had a contract on a 2005 37PC that I just rejected. LOVE that make and model.

Why did you reject it?

The boat had a boat history incident show up. I contacted boat history to learn more as the broker/seller allegedly did not know the details.

"It looks like there were two different accident reports filed for this incident which is why you are seeing it twice. We do have a little more detail on the incident however. It looks like a Make next to the Formula had a fire on the vessel which resulted in a partial sinking. However, the fire grew rapidly causing extensive damage to the Forumla's glass and gelcoat on the starboard side. The Formula was towed to safety to avoid further damage to the boat. Additional damage could not be determined at the time due to the condition of the Foruma. "

Per the broker the seller was aware of this and purchased the boat anyway. The damage was to the starboard side, the paint looks amazing. I did not want to have to deal with this if/when I ever sold the boat.

In addition there was a lot of water in the engine compartment as well as the cabin bilges. The broker kept trying to tell me that was normal. It's not, especially in the cabin bilges. I asked him to identify the source, he volunteered to shop vac it dry before survey. The engines have a lot of rust on them as well. The sound proofing in the engine compartment is falling off. I was told there was a raw water leak that sprayed salt water in the engine compartment that's been fixed. It has been, along with a lot of other recent engine related service, I reviewed the invoices. There is an odd smell in the cabin as well, one I could not identify. There are numerous fragrance smelly things in the cabin/cockpit. When I asked the broker about it he said he put them in there to cover up the smell. They pumped out the holding tank hoping that was it, it was not. I get it, boats have smells, but this one was odd.

I think the broker is a good guy. His sellers seemed like the clueless type who used the boat and never opened the engine hatch.

I am not saying it's a bad boat, my gut told me it's not the right boat for me though.

Sounds like the right decision!

I'm Darel, I was one of the original RO's that defected with Les from the Sea Tow site and a Plank Owner of this site. I served 25 years in the Coast Guard, 15 on ships and surf stations, and 10 in the Marine Safety field. I work for NOAA now as a Marine Inspector for their research ships and small research vessels. I used to live on my S&S 45' in St. Thomas, USVI when this all started. I sold it when I retired and went boatless while we lived in Seattle for 9 years. After escaping Seattle and landing on an island in the Chesapeake, I purchased a 1976 Wellcraft Airslot 24' which I'm in the process of bringing back to life. I recognize a lot of the people on here and even got to meet Capt. Bill1 in St. Thomas when he was captaining a charter there. I'm glad the site survived and look forward to its continuing success.IMG_0167.JPG

Last edited:

The boat had a boat history incident show up. I contacted boat history to learn more as the broker/seller allegedly did not know the details.

"It looks like there were two different accident reports filed for this incident which is why you are seeing it twice. We do have a little more detail on the incident however. It looks like a Make next to the Formula had a fire on the vessel which resulted in a partial sinking. However, the fire grew rapidly causing extensive damage to the Forumla's glass and gelcoat on the starboard side. The Formula was towed to safety to avoid further damage to the boat. Additional damage could not be determined at the time due to the condition of the Foruma. "

Per the broker the seller was aware of this and purchased the boat anyway. The damage was to the starboard side, the paint looks amazing. I did not want to have to deal with this if/when I ever sold the boat.

In addition there was a lot of water in the engine compartment as well as the cabin bilges. The broker kept trying to tell me that was normal. It's not, especially in the cabin bilges. I asked him to identify the source, he volunteered to shop vac it dry before survey. The engines have a lot of rust on them as well. The sound proofing in the engine compartment is falling off. I was told there was a raw water leak that sprayed salt water in the engine compartment that's been fixed. It has been, along with a lot of other recent engine related service, I reviewed the invoices. There is an odd smell in the cabin as well, one I could not identify. There are numerous fragrance smelly things in the cabin/cockpit. When I asked the broker about it he said he put them in there to cover up the smell. They pumped out the holding tank hoping that was it, it was not. I get it, boats have smells, but this one was odd.

I think the broker is a good guy. His sellers seemed like the clueless type who used the boat and never opened the engine hatch.

I am not saying it's a bad boat, my gut told me it's not the right boat for me though.
"Run Toto, RUN!!!" Sounds like partially submerged at some point? I think you're kind in your characterization of the broker and previous owner. That stuff's hard to overlook.

"Run Toto, RUN!!!" Sounds like partially submerged at some point? I think you're kind in your characterization of the broker and previous owner. That stuff's hard to overlook.
I was telling myself it was ok because I was getting a good price on the boat. In the end it didn't matter though.

Jamie here. Been around a long time here on BE. Nice to see this site up and running again, thanks to all the hard work from everyone and the moderators! Have a '85 Trojan F32 for the past 20 years and since July of last year, an '87 Post 43. :)

Attachments

• Trojan1.jpg
    Trojan1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Post.jpg
    Post.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 2
Well, I'm late to the party as usual. First found Ask the Captain when Les was at Yachting World, then lost track of where everyone went when that site vanished. Was here for ten years but had to drop out around 2010 after moving to the central Caribbean and having spotty and limited internet.
Boated in Pacific Northwest waters for many years and I truly miss fresh caught salmon and rockfish. Been fishing with a friend here off shore in his 27' Edgewater and we have good days and poor days. Many of these waters are kinda fished out.
For 12+ years my main watercraft is a surfboard. Tried posting a picture of an attempt to fish with rod and reel from one nearshore but "file too large".
I don't see a forum of old, NBR? "Not Boating Related"? Discussing controversial subjects and learning things and trading information appeals to me. There are certainly plenty of controversial subjects these days.
Probably just as well. I'd get banned in no time.

I remember your move to PR and a few posts then nothing for quite a while until now.
You dropped off FB as well.

Hey Buzz, long time no see! I was hoping you'd turn up...

How is PR treating you?

You are fixed for NBR, join the fun...and if you want to email me the photo I'll see if I can get it to post.

admin@boatered.com

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. It's great to see you've picked up the BE reins. PR has been great to the admiral and me. We settled in to our 4 acres and doing the homestead thing, growing fruits and vegetables and a lot of coconuts. "Charms and challenges" as the admiral says. Went through our first hurricane in 2017 (Maria) after having lived in Fla. (and here when I was 20) and all those years never experienced one. Got through it ok thanks to a home made of concrete blocks. We got 36" of rain in 48 hours. Other than a lot of trees down we came through fine.
As for the photo I'm not sure why it didn't post after seeing sardog's big photo above.
So if you add the photo know it was somewhat comical trying to paddle a board with a fishing pole in front of me and a backpack on. My buddy is on a SUP...so we get out 150 yards and find the water was only 25 ft. deep. Thought we'd catch fish for sure but nothing. Back to the beach for a cold one...
and Gary, FB wasn't for me. Admiral's on it, though.

IMG_0319.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
try again on your photo upload please. We upgraded the software last night. The upgrade for some reason set the max upload file size to 1mb. Should be good now for 10 mb uploads.

I have been lazy and missed this thread. Wow, it sure is good to hear from a lot of the old RO's who kind of slipped away over the years. I've been around since the early days of 'Ask the Captain'. I learned a lot from many of y'all. It's also very good to see the new blood coming in. Due to too many things going on and old age stomping on my back I've cut my boats down to only one and it's technically the admirals since I bought it for her use. It's a Boston Whaler Sport 13' and the upkeep is more in line with my free time, effort, and use. It's kind of hard for me to start a boat related thread these days since there really isn't much I can come up with on such a small boat. I have been trying to put a few fresh threads in the fishing forum in hopes of getting it going so please when you have time post something in there. welcome back and welcome new RO's, glad your all here.

Thanks Brian. It's great to see you've picked up the BE reins. PR has been great to the admiral and me. We settled in to our 4 acres and doing the homestead thing, growing fruits and vegetables and a lot of coconuts. "Charms and challenges" as the admiral says. Went through our first hurricane in 2017 (Maria) after having lived in Fla. (and here when I was 20) and all those years never experienced one. Got through it ok thanks to a home made of concrete blocks. We got 36" of rain in 48 hours. Other than a lot of trees down we came through fine.
As for the photo I'm not sure why it didn't post after seeing sardog's big photo above.
So if you add the photo know it was somewhat comical trying to paddle a board with a fishing pole in front of me and a backpack on. My buddy is on a SUP...so we get out 150 yards and find the water was only 25 ft. deep. Thought we'd catch fish for sure but nothing. Back to the beach for a cold one...
and Gary, FB wasn't for me. Admiral's on it, though.

View attachment 275
Buzz, I believe it was you who showed me how to make jigs from table knives. I've made a bunch since then and we wear the blackfin tuna out using them. The big plus is losing one to the sharks doesn't hurt quite as bad as the retail ones. Thanks buddy!

Bill, I give credit to some fishing magazine I subscribed to back then. For the record, I've never caught a fish with them, but actually have had very few chances to use them in the right place. I burned through so many drill bits making them...

Bill, I give credit to some fishing magazine I subscribed to back then. For the record, I've never caught a fish with them, but actually have had very few chances to use them in the right place. I burned through so many drill bits making them...
Yours were almost too nice to fish with. I was a tad rougher in my finished product since I knew they would be lost to the sharks taking the hooked tuna. Anyway in the dark under the lights out at the bluewater oil rigs and the boats spreader and underwater lights all you really need to hook blackfins is flash and speed. BTW-- when I drilled using very low RPM's I quit burning through bits and the holes were made quicker.

Back