Is the engine included in a marine survey?

ddurand

RO Number
Does a survey normally include the engine? I had a 27' power boat surveyed in RI and the survey guy said ahead of time he did not survey the engine or outdrive. I was pressed for a survey by a certain date and the marine surveyors were backed up. I had a mechanic run a compression test and I took an oil sample myself and sent it out and also measured the temp of each riser to catch anything that might show up.

I paid extra to have it included in mine. Oil sample, compression test, sea trial.. it was worth it for piece of mind.
Jim

Usually not but on a small lay with gassers some Surveyors Do

All my surveys...surveyor just did some basics. My last one, my engines are new enough to have computer connections and my surveyor can get a fair amount of info hooking them up to his laptop.

The surveys I have had completed I always called an engine person, Dubbert's Outdrive in Port Clinton, Ohio, to check out the engines. Money well spent.

I offer all my clients an in-depth mechanical inspection at an extra cost to a pre-purchase survey. Some vessels i won't agree to survey if they won't include it.
You only have one opportunity to be as comprehensive on testing on this type of inspection. Cheap insurance for sure!

I'd be more likely to call it piece of mind instead of cheap insurance. if the surveyor misses something or a system appears solid and fails shortly after mechanical survey, is the surveyor on the hook? I doubt it so wouldn't call it insurance.

I'd be more likely to call it piece of mind instead of cheap insurance. if the surveyor misses something or a system appears solid and fails shortly after mechanical survey, is the surveyor on the hook? I doubt it so wouldn't call it insurance.
I am fully insured and qualified to perform in depth mechanical inspections and in many cases more comprehensive then most. I guess when it comes to your statement it depends on which surveyor your contracting with. For my clients i call it cheap insurance due to the fact there just dealing with one person rather then two and there is a savings to the service because its combined with the standard pre-purchase inspection.

Back