Let's get active

It's warming up!

Who is starting to prep their boat for the season?
My boat is in Charleston, SC in a slip so it's always pretty much "prepared".

We will be leaving in two weeks for a projected three month cruise of the Chesapeake Bay area so it's being "extra" prepared. Oil and filters for changes every 100 hours, food and other supplies, a new (electric) motor for the dinghy, etc.

It's hard to wait but we have appointments up until then.

I splashed my center console a few weeks ago. I need to do risers and elbows on the Silverton and I'm not in a major rush...
My plan is to pay my friend's kid to wash and wax while I do the zincs, paint and engine repairs. Once done, I will take the center console out of the water and have him wash/wax that and I want to bottom paint it this year.

Boat waxed, engines run up, and bottom painting this week. Hopefully I'll go in next week.

Prediction is for upper 70's and upper 50' for my upcoming week on the lake... Perfect temps. I was on the boat a couple weeks ago and it was chilly at night.

holding off until i return from NC. Probably 2nd week in May. Not boating weather anyway.

Bottom painted, new zincs, compounded and waxed, ready to splash. Just waiting for marina to put me in!

Let the fun begin!!!

Just finished working on the house, new kitchen and bath. Last item was towel bars and TP holder.

coincidentally new elbows, risers, gaskettes, block off plates arrived. ($2500!! WTF)That project starts tomorrow. Looking at mid May launch.

I paid someone to do my risers and elbows this year. Well worth the $3500 total to not deal with it.

I launched a week ago and enjoyed my cruise on the Hudson out to the sound it was a perfect day! Looking forward to my first weekend on board starting tomorrow.

I paid someone to do my risers and elbows this year. Well worth the $3500 total to not deal with it.
I’m curious, a few questions for my own sanity:
1) did you need risers or just elbows?
2) OEM replacement? (Crusader parts were a bit more than Osco)
3) I assume twin engines?

I’m curious, a few questions for my own sanity:
1) did you need risers or just elbows?
2) OEM replacement? (Crusader parts were a bit more than Osco)
3) I assume twin engines?
Risers, elbows, gaskets, block off plates, swivels, for 2 Crusaders. All OEM. Motors are freshwater cooled so manifolds were perfect and not needed. Exhaust hoses were still in excellent shape.

That's basically the same exact thing I am doing, including all new bolts, nuts and studs which I'm sure your mechanic did too.
Saving $1,000 and the satisfaction of saying nobody touches my boat but me, I'm happy!

I'm also going to paint the mufflers and while they are out and give the bilge a good scrubbing. Its' amazing how much space the exhaust hoses and muffler take up....the bilge is naked without them.

I just ran out of time with work and stuff. The guy I hired does good work. Very happy with the job he did. Good luck with it.

Splashed on Wednesday, last night was our first overnight

Reactions: alk
We've had several overnights on the lake, temps in mid to high 80s. Mini splits and new solar are working like champs. Admiral and I are even on fishing bets (first, most, biggest). Which reminds me, I need to collect the $4 I won this time.

Hakuna Matata.

I spent the better part of yesterday in the bilge....Steve, I almost wish we didn't have this conversation. I kept thinking "$1000 isn't all THAT much for this work, maybe I'm an idiot". And to make matters worse, I was missing the shims, they were not delivered...ugh! But the hard work is done, now its a matter of re-assembling.

I spent the better part of yesterday in the bilge....Steve, I almost wish we didn't have this conversation. I kept thinking "$1000 isn't all THAT much for this work, maybe I'm an idiot". And to make matters worse, I was missing the shims, they were not delivered...ugh! But the hard work is done, now its a matter of re-assembling.
What do you mean, you thought it wasn't worth it, then realized it is? Oh, it is! You are always one broken bolt away from a week long project too.

Back