New 2 Stroke?

Doc

Member
Member
Joined
May 2, 2005
RO Number
17228
Messages
533
Is it possible to buy a new 9.9 or 15 hp 2 stroke outboard? Weight is the concern. I could not, or barely could, carry my Yamaha 15 4 stroke. Dragging it thru the grass was more like what I was doing.
 
I think the Chinese make a 15 hp 2 -stroke. Just do a search for Chinese 2 stroke outboard. I would be a bit reluctant to buy one though.
 
I thought that they are illegal now in the states.
 
I have not heard good stuff about the "Chinese" 2-strokes. They're pretty much junk from what I've researched.

Look for a used one. Those engines can last almost forever. I've got a 2-stroke 6 and I'm about to drop $400 on an 8. It's a 1968, but should be just fine.
 
Aren't all Evinrudes 2 strokes? Try an Evinrude dealer
 
The 15 hp Evenrude is a 4 stroke and its not a light weight at almost 115 lbs.

A good used 2 stroke is your best bet.
 
Some of the larger Evinrudes (like the 90s) are 2-strokes. But all the small stuff is 4-stroke now.
 
FWIW- I believe the "lightest" 4-stroke 15 hp, 15" short-shaft, manual start, outboard is the Suzuki 15 at 97 lbs (and same weight for the 20hp). It's EFI too.

In comparison, the comparable model Yamaha 15 & 20(carbed) are 111 lbs , which doesn't seem like all that much more until you start to carry it. Which, of course, is why a lot of us are keeping an eye out for even lighter good used 2-strokes.
 
Folks on cruising forums claim that they can buy new two stroke outboards in other (from the USA) countries. Brand name ones, I believe.

That may or may not be a possibility in your case. You might have to go to such a country and bring the outboard back with you, possibly on a boat. There's probably an EPA regulation preventing a dealer from shipping one to the USA.
 
Actually we just bought a 40hp Etec 2 stroke and it is just as heavy as a Yammie 4 stroke at the same power point.
The low HP Evinrudes are 4 strokes and I believe they are sourced from Tohatsu like the Mercs.

It looks like Evinrude draws the line at 25 HP.
 
Doc, My daughter had a Yammy 8hp 2 stroke stolen from our Marina in the beginning of the season. It weighed a slight 66 lbs. She used it on her inflatable. Did more boating than I did. The Marina did right by her; but were only able to replace it with a 4 stroke which is now for sale as it was WAY to heavy for the dink and she almost wiped out a few times. Very dangerous. Could not get out of the hole. Lo and behold, she found a dealer up in New Hampshire with one Yammy 2stroke 8 hp he did not know he had in stock. It was actually only 2 serial numbers away from th stolen outboard. She got lucky.
 
Back
Top