New Electronics to replace Raymarine E120

CaptCrunch

Member
Member
Joined
May 27, 2010
RO Number
32171
Messages
766
my display had been acting up, so I sent it into raymairne service. the processor and powersupply are on thier way out. $1725 to refurbish the unit I cant see that.

Do I upgrade to a new unit, since radar dome isnt compatible with new raymarine stuff. if so what do you reccomend?
 
I'm a Garmin fan. However SIMRAD and their sister companies are making headway. Which ever product you pick make sure you start a basic NMEA2000 network.
I don't recommend it as a primary means of navigation but many people are having good results with Blue Chart Mobile by Garmin and Active Captain over a GPS enabled i-PAD.
Bill
 
Bill, thats not a bad idea as a back up. I started pricing and it seems everyone is about $4500ish for the equipment. it's a tough decision.
 
Garmin is very intuitive to use. I can't say the same for Raymarine.
Bill
 
I sadly made the error after my stuff was stolen to replace with the new RAYJUNK stuff. Like I said was a mistake. The graphics are awesome if u have the vision of an eagle. Its easier to show u what not to get .

Ill be back in two weeks

Rob
 
On the other hand, once you have learned Raymarine its good stuff. I have the e-80, e-120, ship heading sensor, dsm-300, raystar, etc etc. If I lost one piece of the system I'd probably just stick new ray gear in. Far as I know the new wide series will talk to the older series.
 
Wrist thing is I shipped out my old e80 about ssh hour before I got the call from Ray marine. I did get $500 for it on eBay.
 
I just bought a Standard Horizon CP190i to replace my CP150. The main reason I purchased it was the mount and power cables were the same so it was a plug and play. I took my friend's Garmin 276 Marine/Auto as a back up on a recent trip. Both equally easy to operate, but the daylight viewability of the SH was head and shoulders above the Garmin.

I was going to go with a larger SH as a main plotter and link it to a radar system, however, I like the Lowrance package better. The main reason is the low emission digital radar. I still need to learn a LOT about radar. The last thing I had with radar on it was large, gray and had a set of large white number "28" on each side of the bow.
 
That's the one advantage to having my display rebuilt. It all goes back plug and play. Any other way way it all needs to be re wired and I need a different mount etc
 
The Garmin 276 is pretty old school and discontinued it's not a fair comparison to the newer units.
SIMRAD has a killer broadband radar system.
Bill
 
SIMRAD and LOWRANCE are now the same company. I've found the new Lowrance Gen2 touch series to be as intuitive as the Garmin for less money with as many or more features and it has the SIMRAD broadband capabilities. Comes with built in charts or can add charts via sim cards.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Billylll

The Garmin 276 is pretty old school and discontinued it's not a fair comparison to the newer units.
SIMRAD has a killer broadband radar system.
Bill






You know I am coming to you w questions!
 
Back
Top