Onboard emergency and how did you handle it.

Wingspar

Member
exMember
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
RO Number
1979
Messages
331
As I try to maintain my boat in good running order I've only had one onboard emergency and this was due to my own fault.

Drove up to the boat last spring for a haul out I had scheduled that day. Went through the usually checks, oil and water etc, but didn't look at the sea cocks as I keep them open during the spring and summer. Thought I'd leave a little early to run the boat around for an hour or two before getting hauled. Started the Starboard engine and went out and checked water flow out the exhaust as I always do. Then started the port engine but this time for the first time in my life I said the hell with it and didn't check its water flow. Checked the gears and cast of lines. Motored out of the marina with no problems. I always keep a sharp eye on the temp gauge. Everything held steady. Advance the throttle to 3200 RPM. Boat picks up speed. Watching the temp gauge, both engines going up slowly from 140 degrees. Then 150,…160…170…180 but wait. The Port engine is still climbing. 190…195 and I immediately shut down both engines. I opened the lower hatch to find the engine room completely filled with exhaust smoke. You couldn't see more then 5 inches. Closed the hatch and the blowers had it evacuated in ten minutes. Reopened the hatch the find the port exhaust hose about a foot from the elbow was missing its top half and about a foot long I also discovered the seacock for the port engine that is NEVER closed in the summer was...well....closed. After about a half an hour later when things had cooled down, I got out my roll of duct tape and used it to repair the exhaust hose that was missing its top half. Restarted the engine, this time with the sea cock open and the duct tape hose held fine. Ran it up to 3200 rpm and headed back to the marina. It still held up just fine. Got my haul out, new paint and a new exhaust hose…....thanks George…....

So what onboard emergencies have you had and how did you handle it???

Dave

Faster now but still steady
 
Back
Top