Port Charlotte to Marco Island

Gerry Heimann

exMember
RO Number
I will be transporting a 27 Formula PC soon and wonder how much of the trip can be done 'inside'. Any other advice as to things to watch out for is very welcome.

Gerry

It's all outside once you get South of southern tip of Sanibel Island, northern end of Ft Myers Beach.
(for all practical consideration, ICW turns east into Caloosahatchee River there at green 101).
Near shore, but stay in channel after you pass under Sanibel Causeway.
Nice little cruise when it's not too windy -
Have fun!
John

There may be some inside routs to Marco from Naples harbor. I haven't done them but hear that they are pretty though may be shallow.

Thanks! There are inside options from Naples Harbor, so it appears that I am outside from Sanibel down to Naples. If it is a very calm day, can I go outside just south of Boca Grande?

Gerry

Redfish pass requires recent local knowledge

Can go outside at Boca Grande and head south - well marked channel.
Have to go out quite a ways to avoid some extended shoals - go to end of channel before turning.
Redfish Pass is easy, also well marked - dozens of fishermen head out there every day.
Not a good time now, hopefully will improve, but winds poorly predicted last week.
Was up there (Redfish and Boca Grande) all last week -- 18-20kt winds sustained, higher gusts
Not consistently comfortable, as you might like.
Hope this helps,
John

Looks like the first week of January for the trip. Even for the best of hulls, 18-20 winds for a 27' would be a challenge.

quote:

Originally posted by pdecat

Redfish pass requires recent local knowledge

Are you saying there may have been hurricane damage? I have not heard this yet. Prior to Irma, we go out Red Fish all of the time. We draft nearly 5 feet.

Remember a few years ago, they moved the entrance to the south because it kept shoaling up.

Ken

Redfish was fine yesterday.
Observe the "relatively" new channel markers (southward as mm notes)
No change after Irma

The south seas harbor master as well as tow boat us migh know something.

Wind direction matters a lot. Off shore and it will be calm near shore

Thanks for your notes. I have decided to trailer the boat to Marco. Easier all the way around as I am working my way around some leg problems.

Back