Prop puller--which is the best to own?

Wintersux

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
RO Number
2421
Messages
163
Pulled the Carver yesterday. Put on the trailer and headed to storage. One prop hit something I could not avoid on the pavement. Dinged it.
What is the best puller to own?

I need to pull them off and have the one redone and the other matched while I am doing this.

Central Ill. location. Any close rebuilders that anyone can recommend??
 
I have been partial to the pro pull pullers.

the answer may depend on the size you need, of course, and whether you have adequate room for a puller, etc...

Also, a number of props now (finally?) are built to be pulled with a puller, tapped right into the prop. That might alter your opinion as well.

Bigger is better as they don't stress and flex, and that will help the prop come off without pulling askew of perfectly straight.
 
This is a 1994 320. It has not had the props off it for many years. Which model puller would you recommend?
 
He's not anchored Bliss he can't receive PM's (private messages).
Bill
 
Thanks, I have a fairly big one in my "stuff". I'm in the Chicago area if anyone wants to buy it. The problem is I'm to lazy to pack it-very heavy-and the shippng would be very expensive. As an aside, it is always fun to see someone use it for the first time. When the prop releases it does so with a very big bang.
 
Bliss--where is this puller located? I might be able to make a deal on this.

Thanks for the input everyone. The resources are slim in this area. Thanks for the input.
 
If your resources are low, a simple puller consisting of two 1/4" thick metal plates and three 1/2" bolts can be easily made with minimal machining skills. I made mine in about 2 hours using a lathe and a metal band saw. I believe there are plans on the internet. I use it regularly to pull the props from my tolly.
 
I am shopping online for a good one. Boating friends from Chicago area are done for the year and won't be down in my area again. Thanks for the info.
 
Sandy nailed it. No additional tools needed ! It was actually fun to use. Was going around marina to see if anyone needed a prop pulled.
 
At a price of over $300, it might be better to rent one or even pay a shop to remove the props. This isn't a tool most of us will use often.

I see them used on ebay but still for $150.
 
I am going to try the marinas near the lake to see if they will rent one. I have been broadcasting around the marina to see if anyone has one. I just have to take the time to do it.
 
Check with the prop shop where you intend to get it fixed. Most have loaner prop pullers.
 
Got the Algonac via ups today. Went out to pull the dinged prop. Put it on and the prop did not budge. I am leaving it on tonight. Do I use some heat on the hub next??
 
Pretty normal. Back off the prop nut but leave it on the shaft. You need to put the puller on and get a strong pull going. It's critical that you have the puller pulling absolutely straight.

Now, you simply need to send a ringing shockwave to get the metal to metal bond to let go. Take a decent sized metal hammer and give the end of the puller a confident ringing blow. Your not trying to beat the prop off, but you give it a smart smack. Hit it dead on straight.

As soon as you deliver that shock ringing blow, you will hear the prop literally pop with a loud noise. If you forgot to leave the prop nut on, the prop may fly and strike you.
 
Remember that any banging will be transmitted to your coupler, transmission, etc. The "expert" advice I have read says not to hammer on the prop or shaft.

Did the puller come with instructions?
 
The instructions said to hit the puller end with a hammer if it did not release. It is hard to get to it, too near the rudder blade.

I have rotated the prop and repositioned the puller. Still no movement. I did leave the prop nut on 1/16 behind the prop.

I knew this would not be easy. I don't like banging on the end of the shaft.
 
Back
Top