Some kind of drain or fill plug??

TimHenn

RO Number
The same yard has done my engine winterization, for years, told me several years ago that they put a hole of some sort that would "save me a ton in antifreeze" referring to the winterization.

I haven't been able to get a hold of them this week and I'm going to winterize myself. Any idea what this might be? Possibly a fill plug? Or what?

I'll be at the boat tomorrow - i think i remember them saying it was in the raw water exhaust but I'm not certain. I'll have to see what I can find.

Fresh water or salt water. Fresh water cooling (full or half) or raw water cooling.

Like Mike (Hogan), I have no idea as well, regardless of power configuration. This will be interesting.

Groco flush adapter?

Or... if you have separate outboard water tanks with a single fill inlet (as ours), they may have Tee'd the crossover hose so the tanks can actually be completely drained? If so, no AF required (well, actually about 1 cup of pink is useful for the hose itself, after the tanks are drained).

-Chris

Power configuration - inboard Volvo D9-575's.

Now I'm even more intrigued, i figured this was common practice but since no one recognizes what it is....i'm all the more interested. I'll try reaching the yard on the phone as well as looking myself.
Thanks,

Got a hold of them this morning.

The yard taps a hole in the bottom of the muffler/exhaust. When antifreeze comes out the hole your done. They claim this saves antifreeze cause "you don't need to fill up the muffler/exhaust". Said its a very common practice. I'll look for the hole/plug later this morning.

I checked the slip for last year, both engines and 10kw Kohler generator took 14 gallons of antifreeze. My Crusaders took 5 gallons each when I winterized them so I don't think 14 is a "savings", but, maybe the Volvo's would take much more without the hole in the exhaust...dunno.

Well, I guess that makes sense but it also serves as another seal that can fail or be forgotten and pump RW into the bilge.

The best trick I ever heard to save AF and I used it every year came from GVP (for those who knew and remember him from back in the day). He said to mix AF 50/50 with windshield washer fluid. Apparently its an old-timers' trick.

Back