Stiff throttle cable

bobh

Member
Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2004
RO Number
13842
Messages
334
Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 Stingray 25' cuddy cabin with a 280hp Volvo with the duo prop out drive.

My throttle has become pretty stiff - getting to be a pain in tight quarters - when I'm docking or trying to turn the boat in a fairway. I have to check my service manual but should I be lubricating the throttle cable? Not sure I would know where to start.
 
You can't lubricate it, you need to replace it. One of my shift cables got stiff and then snapped just as I was getting ready to dock at a very busy marina - not fun!
 
Suggest you disconnect the cable(s) at the engine and see how the throttle/shift feels with no load. Problem might be at the engine or outdrive...

...Or, the control unit could be sticky.
 
Yup, first check cable like JD said. cables can take a set but you also want to find out if the cable broke a strand and is catching inside the cable housing.

Greasing a new cable can get it to last forever. To re-grease only takes manipulating the cable to re-distribute the grease within the housing.
 
This has been used by at least 25 house boaters with over a 75% fix rate. 40 to 50 foot cables.
 
Thanks for the replies. I will check the cables.
 
Back
Top