Strange issue

WALSHIE

RO Number
Last year my onboard fresh water pump would work intermittently and I couldn't figure out why.
Since I've owned the boat, I know I have to completely fill the fresh water tank to prime the pump. Once primed, it worked fine until the tank was empty.
Last year, the pump would work at first then stop working. I would switch to dock water with a hose and sometimes when I remove the dock water, the pump would work.

I found the issue. The plastic screw on cap for the strainer was ever so slightly cracked and had a slow drip. Luckily I noticed this when bench testing the unit. I didn't think much of it at first but when I thought about it, if that dripped for several days, the pump would be air bound and lose its prime. I bet connecting to dock water primed the pump.

Frustrating indeed, thought I would share with you guys in case someone else has an intermittent pump that looks perfectly fine as I took everything apart to inspect it including the pressure switch.

I hate intermittent issues...

but thanks for the"heads-up". Having herd of the problem means that It might occur to me when I go diagnosing those pesky issues!

Just had a leak on my 41C this past weekend which caused the DC water pump to cycle on and off every 20 minutes. Found my lav sink was dripping releasing the pressure causing the pump to cycle.

Back