keithashleywaite
Member
- Joined
- Aug 4, 2005
- RO Number
- 18574
- Messages
- 80
Hello all, I have mercruiser 3.7 litre with alpha one leg (1989 model)
During the winter when i occasionally used the boat, I would start the engine, it would start staight away on half throttle and run for 2 seconds then cut out. Then it would not start again for a few mins, but then with no throtlle and slowly built up to running speed. It is summer now and first I have started it with ease the last week or so, However I took it out yesterday for the first time this year, it started easy and off we went. I stoped the engine after ten minutes travelling quite fast. then went to start it three minutes later and the engine would not start, the battery was turning the engine over but was no kick there at all. I had to be towed in from the bay.
after ten minutes in the engine started straight away again. I decoded to take the fuel filter off (the type shaped like an oil filter and found a rather large dead spider clogging one of the holes and also found two 1 cm in size flakes orf red oxide paint. put filter back and the engine started again. Could this have been the problem all along? Any sugestions, maintenance etc.
Cheers Keith
During the winter when i occasionally used the boat, I would start the engine, it would start staight away on half throttle and run for 2 seconds then cut out. Then it would not start again for a few mins, but then with no throtlle and slowly built up to running speed. It is summer now and first I have started it with ease the last week or so, However I took it out yesterday for the first time this year, it started easy and off we went. I stoped the engine after ten minutes travelling quite fast. then went to start it three minutes later and the engine would not start, the battery was turning the engine over but was no kick there at all. I had to be towed in from the bay.
after ten minutes in the engine started straight away again. I decoded to take the fuel filter off (the type shaped like an oil filter and found a rather large dead spider clogging one of the holes and also found two 1 cm in size flakes orf red oxide paint. put filter back and the engine started again. Could this have been the problem all along? Any sugestions, maintenance etc.
Cheers Keith