USCG Documentation renewal

NY Weasel

RO Number
I may have missed this discussion but did it really jump from $26 to $75?

Thanks,

Rob

NO!!!!!!

That form is not USCG!
Throw it out!
You will get a letter in a month from the "REAL" USCG!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by CurrentSea

NO!!!!!!

That form is not USCG!
Throw it out!
You will get a letter in a month from the "REAL" USCG!!!!

Did what go from $26 to $75 ??
BOB J

The letter to renew your documentation for boat.
The $76 letter is from a deceptive fraud that looks just like USCG but is not!

That’s good to know. It’s amazing that these companies get away with that kind of crap. I’ll keep an eye out for it in the mail.
I actually did the paperwork and submitted for the documentation for my boat directly with the USCG myself after going on their website. The boat was new to me this past year and previously documented. The person MarineMax uses wanted a crazy amount of money. Around $800.00 comes to mind. I think it took me about ten minutes to fill out the paperwork, make copies, write the check to the USCG for less than $100.00, address the envelope and put a stamp on it.

Thank you all. I was about to hit send but something smelled fishy. The letter from "Maritime Documentation Center" looks very official, how the USCG allows them to do this is beyond me.

Going next door to apologize to my neighbor, he's a CG Aux and I ranted to him that I love and support the CG but 3x the renewal fee is a bit ridiculous!

I can't miss your boat on the mile, I will gladly buy you a round if I see you.

Thanks,

Rob

They get away with it because if you read the fine print they tell you who they are and they're not the Coast Guard. I'm not sticking up for this sleezy practice, but if we get burned by them, it's our own fault for not paying attention. The Coast Guard can't do anything about them because they aren't breaking any laws. The Coast Guard sent out a notice last year to warn us about these practices.

Just bringing this thread back to the top as a reminder.
The REAL CG Documentation office only charges $26 to renew. Anyone who wants $75 is a private firm that offers nothing for your additional $49...except to lighten your wallet.

Back