VHF fixed mount radio

Capmac

Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2006
RO Number
19925
Messages
2
I'm in the market to replace a 25 year old, fixed mount, Uniden VHF. It's worked flawlessly and is still going. However, I think it's time for an update. For the price, I like the multitude of features on the Uniden um525, especially, the ability to connect wirelessly to a handheld. I've also read that Icom and Standard Horizon have the best reputation and warrenty, but fewer features for the price. Any thoughts?
 
Ed, I removed your references to Ebay - first of all, the Ray 230 is an obsolete, discontinued model and has been for a while now. Any "new" one advertised anywhere is either a customer return or something from leftover inventory. Secondly, I've read to many horror stories about stolen goods, etc on Ebay for me to be comfortable advertising for them.

There are a number of current models that offer built in hailers and remote handsets, including the one mentioned from Uniden that offers wireless handsets. If you have a Standard Chartplotter, there is an advantage to getting a Standard VHF with the communication capabilities. I kinda like the UM625 with its color screen.
 
Five years ago, I would have agreed with most here and only recommended either a Standard or Icom radio. However, Uniden has made significant improvement in its radios and are now, in my opinion, a viable option. They were simply a cheap, mass marketed radio but no longer. The ex-VP of Standard is now the VP of Uniden and is, I suspect, helping to improve the feature/quality picture.
 
Back
Top