Wet Core

ga48

exMember
RO Number
I had a hull survey done on a 2006 43' Mainship. The moisture meter went to 25 in quite a few places. The transom was the worst. Should I stay away? What are the long term affects? There were no signs of delamination.

What did your surveyor say about it? No problem...a concern or run?

He said he would not tell me to stay or run but give me the information and the final decision was up to me. I'm just looking for some opinions. I will try to get him to steer me in the right direction.

I have read elsewhere that Silverton began using something -- gelcoat, resin, process, something -- that frequently causes incorrect readings on moisture meters. I'd expect Mainship used the same whatever.

-Chris

Run fast. You will regret it down the road when you are throne trying to unload it.

I once had a surveyor tell me I had a high moisture reading on my bridge, upon investigation no problem as there is no coring in this area, he stated that sometimes meters are not accurate! If you want to know, with permission from owner drill a small hole in the transom to take a come sample.

Moisture meters are known to be good metal detectors. I own a Tramex Skipper plus and it will read high moisture if there is a metal backing plate under the gel or fiberglass. That is why a great surveyor has to have the proper knowledge of the vessel he or she is surveying. I am not a surveyor, but I have participated in enough to know the ups and downs of using a moisture meter.
I believe that your surveyor is being a little protective of himself by not giving you his opinion and in my opinion, he is not doing the job you paid him for if he will not tell you yes, no or run away screaming.

Thank you for all of the info. I will keep you posted on my decision.

quote:

Originally posted by ga48

He said he would not tell me to stay or run but give me the information and the final decision was up to me. I'm just looking for some opinions. I will try to get him to steer me in the right direction.

My opinion is to get another surveyor. This one is not doing you any favors.

I have a 2001 Silverton 330 Sportbridge. My surveyor (Al Prisco here) told me that moisture meters are useless on these boats due to the material used. I'm not sure if it's the kevlar material or what it was. Since my boat does not have a cored hull, it makes sense. Instead, he used an infrared camera to verify there is no moisture and to get a pic of the structures, very cool. He also sounded out the hull the old fashioned way, with a hammer.

Mainship and Silverton were made by the same company, in the same factory (I believe) and are now owned by Egg Harbor. Give Lloyd a call at the parts area and see if he knows if you have a cored hull or not. Since you have inboards, the transom is not as critical as I/Os or outboards...but you don't want a wet one.

I'd fire the surveyor.

Good info from cpiazza, mikebrookings, dave and walshie. Investigate the coring issue as suggested and go from there. At least get the surveyors report to show the owner and maybe get the price lowered. Then get a second opinion and maybe get mainship/silverton to suggest a surveyor...or get al prisco from this forum...Have gun will travel

Decision made. I will keep on looking for now. I did not buy the boat. Thank you for all of your opinions.

20% moisture reading is showing residual moisture in many cases. This vessel may have a vinyl ester barrier under the gel-coat, the ester is a carbon base material, many low end moisture meters will show wet areas with this core material present. Thermal Imaging and sounding of the hull structure will give you the information needed to make the right decision.

quote:

Originally posted by Al_Prisco

20% moisture reading is showing residual moisture in many cases. This vessel may have a vinyl ester barrier under the gel-coat, the ester is a carbon base material, many low end moisture meters will show wet areas with this core material present. Thermal Imaging and sounding of the hull structure will give you the information needed to make the right decision.

Vinylester, that's what I was (almost) remembering about the Silverton hulls... and presumably that'd be the same for Mainship (Hunter, Luhrs, Ovation) hulls.

FWIW, I think their hulls are not cored anyway. Can't quite remember what I've read about that, either...

-Chris

If surveyor didn't know your hull was not cored...well...I'd want a refund and I'd go back and check out that boat...but that's just me.

Back