Introduce Yourself...

Our kids love spending time on the boat with us. Our son and his wife come up almost every weekend., and come out to Block Island with us on our annual trip. Our other son moved to Florida, but whenever he visits during the summer, he spends his time with us on the boat.

We also have our 17' Scout, which they are free to use any time they want.

Last edited:
First boat, about 1985, was a 15’ baby Bayliner bowrider I saw at a boat show. I put a custom hitch on my Mazda 626 5-speed and picked it up about 75 miles from home. While towing it home I checked the car’s owner’s manual re towing. It said: “this vehicle not recommended for towing.” I could have used some “boater ed” at that point! (The car towed that little boat just fine, though.)

Joined BE in 2003 when I got my second boat, a 24’ Sea Ray cuddy. Loved that boat and kept it at a local marina for about 10 years. After I sold that one, I got a 17’ Javelin fish/ski combo that I didn’t use as much as I should have. I wasn’t into bass fishing so much anymore, and it was loud and not a very smooth ride. The admiral and our mini-doxie didn’t care for it. Sold it a couple of years ago to a random “picker” who stopped by the house and made me an offer.

Fast forward to November ’20 and the admiral and I decided that since our passports weren’t welcome elsewhere due to the pandemic, we should plan some extended vacations in our backyard, Lake Shasta. Found a small houseboat (12’ X 32’ in documents, but the surveyor measured it at 43’) and are having it refurbed right now. Should be off-the-grid with new solar, a couple of split-mini ACs, water maker and all electric fridge. 365 miles of shoreline to explore on this lake that my family started doing boat-in camping vacations in 1959.

My boating has come full circle!

I'm on here daily! When did you retire? Where did/are you moving to--if at all?
Retired late last year, moving back east this summer. Spending my days now between being a stay at home Dad/remote learning “enforcer” to my younger two, and managing an indoor/outdoor action sports venue. Currently rebuilding a lot of the park while we’re closed down for COVID.

when I was 19, I trailered my Dad's boat 60 miles to Lake Oroville, launched it, anchored and spent the night, loaded it back on the trailer and drove home. Just me and a friend

when I was 19, I trailered my Dad's boat 60 miles to Lake Oroville, launched it, anchored and spent the night, loaded it back on the trailer and drove home. Just me and a friend
Watching the submarine races?

Greg Saracco here. Thanks Brian and Alk for updating the site and keeping it running. I've been on Boatered since the late 90s. Grew up boating on the rivers in Pittsburgh on my Dad's Owens. Was boatless until I bought a 250 Searay in 1995. Now on my 3rd Silverton, a '94 34 C that Iv'e had for 16 years. Moved that boat from The Ohio River to The lower Chesapeake Bay in 2011 when I returned to active duty in The USN. Going to retire in May and have more quality boating time and no more deployments!

That was my local lake for 40+ years.

Been on BE since around 2002. Has helped me make many local friends. Since I have been on BE I have gone from a 24' Sundancer to 34' Cruiser Yachts, to the infamous 40' Regal which was a fiasco from new and then got sunk by Sandy. Finally ended up on anther 40' Regal but with Diesel IPS. All those boats are gone. Now I cruise a 28' Cobia with twin yammies on the intercoastal. Living full time in Florida and retired. Love the weather, boating and everything about it. New boat is called "Knot Gonna Work"

Hoping covid ends so we can start some travel.

Attachments

• KGW.jpg
    KGW.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 2
Been on BE since around 2002. Has helped me make many local friends. Since I have been on BE I have gone from a 24' Sundancer to 34' Cruiser Yachts, to the infamous 40' Regal which was a fiasco from new and then got sunk by Sandy. Finally ended up on anther 40' Regal but with Diesel IPS. All those boats are gone. Now I cruise a 28' Cobia with twin yammies on the intercoastal. Living full time in Florida and retired. Love the weather, boating and everything about it. New boat is called "Knot Gonna Work"

Hoping covid ends so we can start some travel.
Your Cruisers that sank is now for sale for $130,000

Your Cruisers that sank is now for sale for $130,000

My cruisers never sank. That boat is still in my marina. I think you mean the 40' Regal called "No CurrentSea Left".
Insurance company took that, some guy bought it, resold it, got sold again, then the guy who bought it fixed it up but ran it up on some rocks and it sank again I heard.

My cruisers never sank. That boat is still in my marina. I think you mean the 40' Regal called "No CurrentSea Left".
Insurance company took that, some guy bought it, resold it, got sold again, then the guy who bought it fixed it up but ran it up on some rocks and it sank again I heard.
That sounds like one cursed boat!

Yes, I meant the Regal

Mike here. I was absent for a long time from BoaterEd. Many of you may remember that I worked with Les on BoatFix on the front end, which made it impossible for me to stay active on the BoaterEd side.

During that gig, I relocated to central Florida from Minnesota and boated the inter-coastal and some near off-shore real estate. Without going into the politics, I finally parted ways from Les and BoatFix. George van Parys had long since excused himself from the BoatFix swamp and I miss George and mourn his passing several years ago.

I sold my boat after my marriage broke up and the saltwater had destroyed my trailer...the boat was fine, but age and other life events dictated that I just couldn't include a boat in the mix.

In 2014, I took a relocation to western North Carolina, remarried in 2015, and retired in 2017. We were over the renting scene and bought a home in south Georgia (it made it possible for my wife to be able to see her adult children and grand kids) about an hour northwest of Jacksonville, FL. So, I get around! Live in Georgia, shop in Florida and take day-trips a lot to the coast.

I'm Stephen and I have a boating problem...

It start when I was 5...captain of my own punt call 'I'm Saucy too'..Dads boat was named after my older sister...'Saucy Sue'...an old wooden converted sailboat with a small inboard diesel inboard (the boat, not my sister)

Fast forward a few years and when I was 22 bought a brand new Wellcraft v20 Steplift/200merc. pure chick boat....$22.058.00...had that for 8 -9 years then drydocked the boat when the chance to get a Phoenix 29 twin diesel inboard fishing boat came up..name it 'Seaducer'. I always did a lot of offshore fishing so this was the chance of a lifetime....bought for 55k...sold it a year later for $63k and launched the wellcraft back into the water...right place..right time - sold that for $25K 3 weeks later.
Got married, bought a house and a sunfish....
6 years later 2001 found a comfortable 20ft Answer Marine center console, named it 'BestMate' after my son asked if he was the First Mate and I said no - the Best Mate....had that for 19 years....again right place right time boat was looked at, offer made and keys handed over in 2 days...BOATLESS.

4 months later....brought home a 2470WA Pursuit w/250 Yamaha 4-stroke.

I am Akela of my 34 boy/2girl Cub Scout Pack, love the outdoors and camping, yard/veggie garden maniac....not afraid of hard work and long hours and love an ice cold beer when finished. For a paycheck I spend all day being the Manager of Technology Service, Operations and Facilities at a law firm here in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. Current projects are 300 user win7 to win10 migration and complete desktop refresh and starting a 5 story 30 year old build down to steel complete reno project.

Married for 29 1/2 years, have one son who attended some of the top Universities (Princeton, Imperial and Oxford) and doing very in his career. BE member for about 20 years..

Last edited:
Im Doug, I'm a painting contractor for 40 years. Hopefully packing it up in a few years?
My wife (of almost 30 years) and I had a great idea and bought our first boat when she was 8 months pregnant with our second daughter, my house was under major construction, and my father had just retired and I took over the business. We bought a 5 year old 24' Four Winns, then 3 years later traded that for a 32' Four Winns. Then came another great idea, buy a brand new 2004 37' Formula PC. Well, along with Currentsea that sank in Sandy. We took the insurance money and bought our current 2005 37' Formula PC.
We have started a search for our retirement boat. We are currently looking at Princess V53, Neptunus 55 and Sunseeker Predators. We live on Long Island and hope to retire in a few years and cruise from Maine to Keys and Bahamas for winters.
My proudest accomplishment is that my kids love boating and the water as much as I do.

I can't thank all of you enough, for all the knowledge that I have gathered from this site.

Last edited:
First I want to give a huge shout out to Brian and ALK for doing all that they did to keep this site as well as updating it. We boat on the Hudson River, and are docked at Safe Harbor Haverstraw. I have been boating most of my life in this area as it is close to home yet allows us to travel anywhere. We go to the Jersey Shore, Connecticut Shore on the Sound as well as Long Island and Block Island. We have 2 boats (3 if you count the dinghy) a 2007 Sea Ray 44 Sedan Bridge, and a 2017 Yamaha 190 AR. I am retired (Love it) and enjoy hanging around the boat during the week while my wife is working and my son is in school. Several of us who are around will take one of our boats out to lunch at one of the local dock and dine places. I am looking forward to continuing to get loads of knowledge from this site as I have for many years.

Yamaha 190AR.JPGSea Ray 44 Sedan Bridge.jpg

I'm Todd. Own a Commercial Laundry Equipment company in order to cover the boat bills. :)

We have a 2003 Mariah SX9 that we're prepping for sale and getting ready to sign papers on 07 Chap 330. Spend most of our boat time on the Missouri River.

Live in Omaha, NE and Salem, MA (pre-friggin Covid) and working on Loop plans in next couple of years.

Let's get the new site off to a great start. Whether you are a crusty old salt or a newcomer, introduce yourself and give us some details about your boat, boating area, etc...

Let's get the new site off to a great start. Whether you are a crusty old salt or a newcomer, introduce yourself and give us some details about your boat, boating area, etc...
Hey all - I used to frequent this site all the time but it's been a while. I boat in Southern NJ. Had a 25' Stingray cuddy cabin for about 15 years sold it last year and moved up to a 2013 330 Sea Ray Sundancer. Really looking forward to this season - first full season on the new boat. sea Ray 1.JPGsea ray 2.jpg

I'm Chris and have been an aquatic biologist and university professor for the past 30 years. I actually get paid to spend my time in the warmer months driving an electroshocking boat to sample fish populations across Illinois. When I'm not working, I can't stay away from the water and have had canoes, pontoon boats and now a 2020 Chaparral 230 Suncoast. I will be retiring in two years, selling the Chaparral and looking for smaller trawler to do the Great Loop. Looking forward to learning from everyone on this site.

Back