Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas

HOGAN

There are drain holes in each bulkhead in the bilge, to allow water to flow to the lowest spot. It drained forward because when you went up there, you added more weight.

Knotayat

I know most of these boats were built differently from each other, but I guess no one else has this issue.

I would think there should be drain holes between bulkheads, but I do not have this at the most forward section. All the other bulkheads in my boat do have drains between them.

The deepest section I can access the most forward bulkhead is about floor height of the front stateroom. So, there is about 1.5' to 2' of water below it I would guess.

Here is a pic looking forward from the hatch at the door of the front stateroom. My only option right now is to drill a hole to drain the water from that front bulkhead to the next one where I have access, or cut a hole into it from the top and syphon the water out, not sure which option is better.

2q0vfno.jpg

Watermark

quote:

Originally posted by Knotayat

I just spent my first weekend on the new to me 98 440.

Couple quick questions.

Fuel transfer didn't seem to work when I was running. Port engine seemed to use much more fuel then starboard. It was showing about 1 GPH more in most cases, but trying to balance it out didn't work.

Besides that, I had a great weekend on it, and what a great boat!

I hope I can be some help to this forum in the future, but, for now, I'm sure I'm going to be asking a few random questions.

The fuel transfer is a manual operation. I have two switches that control it. One switch on the main power panel inside the cabin that puts power to it. Then a 3-position switch under the helm seat. Once the power switch is turned on, move the 3-position switch from the center (off) position to either side tank. This will send fuel to that tank until it's moved back to center. My transfer pump is mounted on the forward wall of the engine room. The fuel lines from both tanks connect to this pump, and each line has a quarter turn valve. Make sure these valves are open.

Audrey II

Is it possible you were running your generator while underway this would explain burning more fuel on one side.
My transfer pump runs but has never worked I believe I need to replace the impeller. I have never really had a need to transfer fuel so I have never gotten around to fixing it.

Knotayat

Thanks for the replies. I found my transfer pump, in the same location as yours. The wires are cut to it. I'm assuming it is in-op, but haven't tested it yet.

That post was from the first weekend with the boat. Since then, we've gone though 2 tanks, and they seem to burn about the same.

We are really enjoying this Trojan, and I'm learning a lot about it just from tinkering and fixing things.

I have a big 'to-do' list, and every time I cross one thing off, 2 more get added to it! But, thats to be expected I guess.

Watermark

I'm trying to change the bulb in the rear navigation light on my 1997 Trojan 440 Express. Does anyone know how to gain access in the light to change the bulb? There is a small Philips head screw on the front bottom and two bolts and nuts on the back.

Knotayat

It's not the nuts on the back. It's only that small phillips screw. I believe you have to lift on the lens cover, then pull after you get that screw loose.

Audrey II

quote:

It's not the nuts on the back. It's only that small phillips screw. I believe you have to lift on the lens cover, then pull after you get that screw loose.

Correct it is probably just stuck pull out and up from the bottom there are two small tabs on 5he top that it sits on.

Audrey II

I'm thinking of replacing my autopilot with a Garmin unit does anyone know what size pump I need? Yes I know the easy answer is go with the smartpump can't go wrong accept the price! There are good deal to be had almost half the price if I know what size pump I actually need.

Knotayat

I've been researching the Simrad AP units. I need the larger pump, they rate it from 9.8 C.I. to 24 C.I.

I hope that helps in translating it over to the Garmin unit.

Audrey II

quote:

I've been researching the Simrad AP units. I need the larger pump, they rate it from 9.8 C.I. to 24 C.I.

I hope that helps in translating it over to the Garmin unit.

Yes this would mean I need a 2.1 liter pump. Which is the larger pump and clearly the more expensive one as well. This said it is still less then the smartpump.

Knotayat

quote:

Originally posted by Audrey II

Video not available on mobile device.

I had both my rudders pulled and rehabbed last year all new hardware and bushing which BTW they had custom made.

My rudder shafts are leaking bad into the garage. I talked to a mechanic today, and he asked if I knew if the seals were still available. I'm assuming this isn't going to be a quick job if you had to have it all custom made.

Audrey II

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Audrey II

Video not available on mobile device.

I had both my rudders pulled and rehabbed last year all new hardware and bushing which BTW they had custom made.

My rudder shafts are leaking bad into the garage. I talked to a mechanic today, and he asked if I knew if the seals were still available. I'm assuming this isn't going to be a quick job if you had to have it all custom made.

My mechanic had all winter to deal with it it was not a project I oversaw so I really don't have much info to advise.

jmeirhofer

You can get the rudder shaft seals from most seal manf. The seals,have the size stamped in them if I remember. I think I got mine through NAPA auto parts. Remember to rebed the bottom through bolts with 5200 sealant.

I can’t believe the post is still going. #128558;#128512;

aenglebert1

Does anyone have advice for the sliding door going down into the salon? Mine is getting hard to slide. Not sure if it needs replacing or someone figured out a trick?

Audrey II

Try cleaning the sill maybe spray a little lubricant on the track. You may have to remove the helmet to get to the rollers t clean and lub them as well. I have never had an issue the a good cleaning couldn't fix however 8 have seen this issue on another boat. I don't think he ever attempted to correct 5he problem so I don't know what caused it.

aenglebert1

Thanks, I have tried lubricating and I've tried adjusting the screws that adjust height of rollers but still gets stuck and hard to push/pull.

I have found replacement tracks and rollers but not sure if they will fit my boat.

Watermark

quote:

Originally posted by aenglebert1

Thanks, I have tried lubricating and I've tried adjusting the screws that adjust height of rollers but still gets stuck and hard to push/pull.

I have found replacement tracks and rollers but not sure if they will fit my boat.

I had a problem with the sliding door when I purchased and picked up my boat. I didn't know anything about the door then but the broker changed the rollers on the door. It's a patio door roller assembly D-1537. I saved the packaging. You can find it at Home Depot, etc. I've always wanted to fine tune the adjustment but never did. The door has come off the track on occasion so I just lift it up and put it back on. You will have to move the left side of the helm to access it.