Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas

jmeirhofer

RO Number
Well the carpet got pretty wet with Hurricane Sandy. I had a hatch in the Saloon that leaked. I guess 10" of rain in that short of time was a little more than it could shed. Next storm I will definetly tape plastic over that one. Anyway, since the carpet was wet and I am putting in wood floors this winter I pulled it out before it started to get moldy. For grins I laid down a box of the bamboo flooring I have to see how it would look. The carpet came up very easy. The wood part however is a worthy opponent. It is glued and nail to an underlayment that is scewed and glued to the sole.

null-117.jpg

null-107.jpg

Between this and winterizing I think I know what I will be doing for the next couple months of weekends.

New stuff you put down looks terrific!!

Bob

Is your floor under the carpet fiberglass? If so how are you installing the wood flooring?
Jim

Thanks bob. It is just saying in place right now. It ius going to take me a few weekends work to get the old floor up a the whole thing prepped. Also before I put it in permanently I am replacing the waste hose lines and putting a fresh coat of paint in the bilges. I may actually get to laying the floor around Christmas. :)

Jim - I am removing all of the carpet and wood laminate flooring in the galley. The new flooring will be glued down same as the wood in the galley.

When I did mine, I made it so that I can get into all of the hatches, now I have tons of storage space under the floor.

It is very smart of you to get that wet carpeting out of there as soon as possible! And the new wood looks really good. Good luck with your winter project......

I plan to do the same Mike. There is an incredible amount of storage down there.

John,

I realize the pix is merely an initial laydown, however you may want to consider staggering the end to end joints to give it a more finished look. Your call. I figured that one out the hard way!

David - the boards come in three foot and 18" lengths so yes they will be staggered joints. Besides astetics staggering the joints, at least in a floating application, strengthens the whole layout. When a did my house in CA I knew absolutely nothing about putting down wood floors. 3000 sf later on a 2569 sf house I was even able to finish the stairs off. I learned a lot the hard way. That job was a floating floor except for the stairs. Much easier to correct mistakes. :)

quote:

Originally posted by jmeirhofer

John,
I already begun to pull up the carpet in mine as well for prepping for a laminate... probably Lonseal Teak and Holly.

What product did you lay down there? How thick is it... and is a vinyl or a true laminate?

Thanks,
--Rick

Poor puppies. Now they'll slide all over the place!

John,

How will your new wood floor handle getting wet? Do you expect any problems with warping or delamination?

I have enough engineered wood flooring left over from reflooring our house that would be enough to do our boat. But I'm hestitant to use it if it will not handle getting wet.

Mike

The stuff I am putting down is bamboo planks. It is strand bamboo so not really the same as laminate. I got it at costco. With out actually measuring it i would say it is about 1/4" thick. The section of wood floor that is in there now, and original to 1997, is a laminate. It is maybe 3/8" thick. It has held up just fine through the years. I can take a picture of the packaging next weekend when I return to the boat.

One way to tell if your laminate would hold up is it off a price and throw it in a bucket of water for a few days. Although that may be a bit overkill. If your getting the floor in your saloon that wet as to damage the laminate your doing something wrong and would already have destroyed the carpet.

Kurt - they will no doubt be a bit unsure of it to begin with but will get used to it. We will probably get a throw rug for the saloon anyway for our own comfort underfoot.

Looking good what are you planning to use to edge the hatches?

John, the replacement of our carpet with allure flooring was a great improvement. We have 3 throw rugs, and our dog does just fine. You will love it.

I don't think I am going to Dave. I know for sure the two center hatches for the waste tank and water tank I am not. On those two I am making the fit as tight as possible and may even screw them down as they are now. I have no intent to get back in them but do want to have access in case. Some countersunk screws and dowels should fix that. The one functioning hatch in the galley where there is wood now is not edged with anything either and has held up just fine. The fit is nice and snug. A counter sunk pull ring on each hatch to lift it should work for that.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. I plan to pull my carpet for the winter but I will reinstall it when I'm done changing out my waste lines.

Thanks Dave. I am changing the waste lines as well. Plan to use as much PVC as possible though. Like Mike, I also plan to make my outer hatches functional for the increased storage. I also am replacing the stairs with some solid food pieces. I have not come up with a good way to make the anti slip yet. But do have some time to figure it out. I am really anxious to get started on all of it. But these next couple of weekends will be spent doing a short haul for a bottom clean and new zincs as well as oil changes and winterizing. To top everything off I have a new chaftplotter to install, my wkndlass to rebuild and a wave wifi unit (thanks Billy) to install.

It is almost Thanksgiving and then only three months until March. I feel time is slipping away already on my to do list.

Dave or Mike or both, have you ever had water in your outboard hatches that you know of? I cannot see where water would get in there but iI am trying to figure it out for two reasons. The wife is concerned anything that is in there might get wet. I want to paint it with a couple coats of white paint. I can't see using $80 a gallon bilge paint if it is never wet. I figure a decent quality glossy white enamel from home depot should work fine.

Back