Trojan 440 Upgrades, Fixes and Ideas

Still loving our boat, we use it quite a bit. And of course the list of repairs and upgrades is never ending, I really can't tell if it grows or stays the same...I have a feeling it is growing LOL.

My next project is to rebuild the anchor roller shelf like John did in previous posts. Also, I need to figure out drainage for the anchor locker. There was a discussion in the past about weep holes. For the life of me I can find no evidence of any. Mine's a '98, and I'm not sure if anyone else's is like mine, but the fresh water fill hose from the deck plate runs right through the bottom of the anchor locker. I think I know now why there are no weep holes...cuz the damn water runs right through the fresh water fill hose hole in the anchor locker floor and goes right into the bilge! Which really sucks since I'm trying to find ways to eliminate water in the forward bilge, not encourage it!

Hi John. If I remember correctly there was a through hull at the base of the chain locker. I believe mine was plugged with debris. Water would back up down there and then drain into the center bilge. In heavy rain the water could not drain past the anchor roller fast enough either and would back up and overflow to the chain locker too. It was really evident once everything was repaired and put back. I cleared the hole down there so it could drain. I had planned to fix the drainage by the roller by putting a hole through the shelf at the front and when I put the roller back in use a washer between the roller and the base to let water under the roller and through the hole to the chain locker. I never got to that before selling the boat though.

Thanks John, I will go look again. I've got the anchor locker very clean and I don't see any drainage, other than the hole that the fresh water fill hose goes through at the very bottom of the anchor locker, which is the opposite of where I want the water to go. I want it to go OUTSIDE the boat!!

I used to have some drawings that showed it on my blog. I will see if I can find them tomorrow. Or a better picture. I had to re-subscribe (and pay) to get my pictures from photobucket but I will look there too. Maybe yours did not come with one. I have found differences boat to boat even in the same model years.

John there are a ton of differences once they moved construction to the Carver plant in 98'

Yeah, I know they changed model year to model year and especially once they moved to Polaski. What I was eluding to was that even same model years had differences. Holding tanks, water tanks, wiring, thru hulls, etc..... Not like these things came off a precision production line. I think the only thing you could guarantee are the same would be the hull molds.
haha

Did you know that even the stringers are different?

I have to change the duck bills on my day head I have now idea what they were thinking when they installed the pump where they did there must have been a better place! While it is not the end of the world it will take a lot longer the it should. I think I will have to remove the shower sump pump and unscrew the pump from the floor to gain enough access to both sides. I'm hoping the process won't kill an entire day!

I just spent my first weekend on the new to me 98 440.

Couple quick questions.

How do you access the forward head exhaust fan? It isn't working, and can't seem to find access to it.

Horn doesn't work, haven't dug into it yet. Common issue?

Fuel transfer didn't seem to work when I was running. Port engine seemed to use much more fuel then starboard. It was showing about 1 GPH more in most cases, but trying to balance it out didn't work.

Besides that, I had a great weekend on it, and what a great boat!

I hope I can be some help to this forum in the future, but, for now, I'm sure I'm going to be asking a few random questions.

have not had problems with you first two issues so I don't know, as for the transfer pump mine has never worked the motor turns put doesn't pump. I believe it is an easy fix I assume there is an impeller inside that needs to be replaced

Thanks Dave.

How about the water heater? First off, where is it? I didn't really look for it though, I'm assuming it's in the engine room. When plugged into 110, the water gets extremely hot, like scalding. I wanted to check and see if there was an adjustment to be made, and if not, possibly a bad thermostat.

Thanks again.

Water heater should be in the engine room I would assume it would be on the port side of the port engine. I don't know of any adjustments but it is possible. Oddly I have two water heaters one port and one starboard this said I don't know of any other Trojans with this setup. I also have two holding tanks one for each head again I don't know of any others with this setup. There are four 440s in my marina and yes we are all members here all four are different years and all are different in several ways mine it the oldest I love the boat just the way it is. I added the swim platform mine came with a davit to lift a jetski into the garage I use it to launch my dinghy on and off of the platform.
Over time you will get it know your boat and you will grow to love it let most of us have. I didn't know much about my boat before I bought it I happened across it while looking for a different boat my wife and I fell in love with it and bought it two days later this was 10 years ago no regrets!

Does anyone have a canvas like this for your 440? I was considering getting one as we plan on using the boat only on nice days. We would have the camper top on board for those days that don't turn out perfect too.

trojan-440.jpg

I figure this should be easier to take off and put on compared to the windows each time.

Thoughts?

Also, can anyone get a rough size of this canvas area? I probably won't see the boat for a few more months to measure it.

Thanks

Its often called a mooring cover. So very common on boats that are stored on mooring.
I keep one full time on my fly bridge, but i have a lower helm to run from if it rains etc...

I dont know how practical it will be full time an an express boat unless your weather is rain free most of the time?

We used one on a 25' boat and it saved quite a bit of time since we used the boat often. If you don't mind storing the gels properly somewhere, and you have a center support so water doesn't pool up you may find it convenient. Especially if you can leave the bimini up.

My boat came with a full mooring cover, it is five pieces and covers the entire boat, from the bow to the swim platform.

Under the forward bed is the storage area. Then, there is a hatch at the bottom of that. I noticed some water there, most likely from the anchor locker.

I syphoned out the water there, and noticed 3 drainage holes at the back of this area. As I was pulling water out, more water was pushing up from these holes, and it sounded like a pump kicked on there too.

I have absolutely no idea how to access this lower area (collision bulkhead?). There is another removable panel under the head of the mattress, but that just leads to the same area I pulled water from.

The bilge in the hatch under the bedroom door only goes to the back side of the collision/forward bulkhead.

Is there access to where the water is trapped? Could there be a pump in there? I'd really like to get this water out from under the bed, but I'm lost as to how to access that area.

Here are 2 pics looking straight down at it.

28s9a3p.jpg

2cick10.jpg

Check you anchor locker make sure there is no water in there and that the drains are clear. My boat has a different setup the space is where my AC unit is at least my blower.

Back